Trying to get back into the blogging state of mind for the summer by captioning random memory lane photo essays. After a year of writing in legalese, it's so hard for me to find the right adjectives/phrases to describe things. I feel stilted. Legal writing tried to ruin me.

Courtyard view of the Former Legation Quarter from Fez, a Moroccan-themed bar atop the Hex/Agua complex. Sadly, Fez is no more. I wonder what's going to take its place? This was a favorite place of mine for late night drinks in Beijing.
Memories of fun summer nights and light summer breezes.
Courtyard view of the Former Legation Quarter from Fez, a Moroccan-themed bar atop the Hex/Agua complex. Sadly, Fez is no more. I wonder what's going to take its place? This was a favorite place of mine for late night drinks in Beijing.
Memories of fun summer nights and light summer breezes.
Lazy Sunday Brunches. One of my favorite traditions that I think started when I was at Harvard. I ate breakfast only once in four years when I was in Cambridge. Not a morning person. I would fall asleep around 3am every night. So the next morning, if I didn't sleep in, I was running off to class...not sitting there eating breakfast. Thus, Sundays were the perfect time to drag myself out of bed at 11am or so and still enjoy breakfast foods. Brunch, one of God's gifts to non-morning people. Sunday brunch became a perfect time to catch up with friends every weekend. This tradition thrived during my time in NYC, one of the brunch capitals of the world...where brunch for many was a noun, verb, and state of mind (haha).
The brunch tradition continued in Beijing at places such as Maison Boulud, the Vineyard, Bridge Cafe in Wudaokou, etc. Nothing is better than sleeping in, throwing on something comfortable, and sitting down to break bread with friends. Staples? Coffee, tomato juice, eggs of some kind, tabasco, potatoes.
I was lucky this past academic year at Duke to find others who valued the brunch tradition as much as I did. No matter how hectic classwork became, we'd always set aside time on Sunday afternoons to just enjoy life.
Favorite: Casablanca (white chocolate and rum)
No comments:
Post a Comment