Being 24 has started off with an awesome bang. Seeing as how this is my ben-ming nian (lunar year), I am starting to give major credit to the Chinese belief that this is my year to carpe diem. I have been really blessed with an awesome group of friends here in Beijing. I don't think I've ever celebrated any birthday with so many different dinners/parties/festivities. Y'all rock. For those stateside, I see you guys every morning when I wake up because I've begun to wallpaper my room with your snail mail.
So much has been written about China's economic prowess, but it mainly focuses on the massive manufacturing systems, internal architectural/civil engineering advances, import & export ratios, etc. How about a shout-out for the LaoBaiXing aka those who can be seen on any day as common street vendors? Whatever you think of China, however over/under estimated you think the Chinese economic system is, whatever you think about this country still being Communist (future post on this), you HAVE to give credit where its due. People have an undeniable fire and incredible ingenuity inside of themselves to make a living. Here's a random walk down a Chinese street for you:
To balance this type of grassroots capitalism, you also have incredibly "Western" outlets for your consumption pleasure as well.
With my law colleagues, I'm getting ready for a Sunday trip to YuanMingYuan, the old summer palace which was built in the 12th century and then torn down by invading Western troops during the Second Opium War(1860). Crazy...as President Lincoln was getting ready to abolish slavery while America tore itself apart, the Chinese imperial system had already began its eventual decline. Most commonly seen as the lowest point in China's humiliation by foreign powers, its a good place to go to think about the historical mistakes which led to imperial China's downfall and to gain perspective on why Chinese foreign policy is as it is now. I haven't been to YMY since 2004, so as a major history nerd, I'm psyched.
PS: Here's a rando collection of pictures from my daily life.
Why did the firm spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on fresh flowers for the conference rooms? Because I can't think without the overwhelming scent of flowers...
There's something about this room that just looks Chinese. It may be the 5 seats facing the rest of us during meetings. Kind of CCP, no?
In case you get hungry while making millions of dollars, here is some exotic fruit to tide you over. Work monkey work!
Spring is here in Beijing!

No comments:
Post a Comment