Saturday, March 28, 2009

"You big dummy"

Current raves: Joanna Wang's "Lost in Paradise," 798 & the hidden anger in modern Chinese art, when friends come into town, H&M opening soon at XiDan, dark chocolate Toblerone



My Chinese vernacular is definitely improving. :) I find myself using more and more complicated phrases, although sometimes, I'm still lacking in certain vocabulary. For example, the other day this crazy driver almost hit one of my students while we were walking across the parking lot. I'm pretty protective of my kids; I almost want to hold their hands when we cross the streets, but I don't think my 20 year old 'kids' would like that. Anyways, this driver had his window down, so I told him to "slow down and be careful to not hit students." Him, probably drunk, yelled out something vulgar/rude (I think?...the sound of the voice tipped me off).

So, I don't know any bad words in Chinese because I learned how to speak it in Chinese school or with my parents....thus, the only retort that I could think of was...."you big dummy."

Boy, that'll teach him to mess with me... blagh! ;oX


I put up a bunch of new photos in this album on FB. I'm behind on posting on this blog about a few big things (Chinese Capitalism, the History of Yuan Ming Yuan, Battles, 798 & Modern Chinese Art), but I'll play catchup this week. Enjoy these photos!!

40 new photos added to the end of this album: Middle Kingdom III

No comments:

Post a Comment