Thursday, June 17, 2010

Things that I found amusing at Wal-Mart

This is more a post for friends back in the US of A. Most people in China would (correctly) think I'm insane for taking photos of the following. But, I found them amusing so here you are!
***


First thing I notice when I come back to China is that the vast majority of advertisements are obviously with Chinese actors/actresses/celebrities. That makes complete sense as this is China, but for someone who grew up in the States (moi), this is an interesting and welcoming development. In the US, it's a rare thing (for obvious reasons) to see an Asian in an advertisement and even so--they are often background characters. Do I identify more with the advertisements here? You know...all that psycho-analytical babble? Actually--not sure. I watch them/I see them and I feel amused. Too often, the girls are super giggly-high pitched caricatures of girls that are falling over themselves while giggling or pouting and I (for obvious reasons) don't identify with that. This paragraph could go on for pages more as I try to figure out if I identify more with Chinese or with American advertisements. Basically it comes down to the hyphen that's there for a reason. Chinese-American.

One of the best drinks ever created. Aloe and green grape juice. Sounds bad? NO! This is a Minute Maid (Coca-Cola) China product.


Oil, oil, everywhere. This is just half of the selection available at your friendly Chinese Wal-Mart.


Well, Pandas are cute, but this advertisement seems to advocate eating pandas? Delicious chocolatey filled pandas.

Rice. Same story as the oil. Lots of it. Allllll types. I had no idea there was that many other than brown, basmati, wild, jasmine, long grained, short grained...ok nevermind. Rice in all shapes and sizes.



Yao Ming for Oreos. What I really wanted a picture of was the new Ice Cream flavored Oreo they released. It's mint green colored, but 'ice cream' flavored. The lady was handing out samples. Bleh.


The picture that started it all....

No comments:

Post a Comment